Search this website:
Glossary of Terms
Please watch this space for more Frequently Asked Questions about copyright.
- Do I need permission to write a screen play based on someone else’s novel?
- Can I use someone else’s work in my work if I alter at least 10% of it?
- Has a painter infringed copyright in my photograph by reproducing it as a painting?
- I’ve bought a CD and my friend wants to burn a copy. Is this allowed?
- What is the standard form of copyright notice?
- Can I include images of artistic works in my film?
- Can I include quotes from literary works in my film?
- I am making a film and want to include music on the sound track. Do I need to get permission?
- Does copyright protect my ideas?
- I have an idea for a novel. How can I make sure no one else uses it?
- What are the penalties for copyright infringement?
- What can I do if someone has infringed my copyright?
- Can I print or download material from the Internet?
- Is everything on the Internet in the public domain?
- Are logos on product packaging protected by copyright?
Names & titles
- Can I get copyright protection for my band name?
- If my work is inspired by an existing work, is my work protected by copyright?
- Is my work protected by copyright overseas?
- Can I reproduce work I have done for clients to include on my website or in my portfolio?
- If a client commissions me to take some photographs, but doesn’t pay me, do I own the copyright in the photos?
- If a client pays me to produce some design drawings, but the work is never completed, who owns the incomplete work?
- Do I need permission to make copies of a photograph I own?
- How can I prove I am the copyright owner?
- If a client commissions me to make a sculpture, but doesn’t pay me, do I own the copyright in the sculpture?
- Do I need permission to photograph a building?
- Do I need permission to photograph a random person on the street?
- How can I prove that someone has copied my work?
- What does “public domain” refer to?
- I'd like to know what the rules are regarding using well known short quotes on our website
- How can I register my copyright and how much does it cost?
: Can I report copyright infringements to the Copyright Council?
Research or private study
- Do I need to acknowledge the source when I copy an extract for research or private study?
- Can I screen a film at a social club function?
- Can I record a television program to watch at a later date?
- Can I translate a book into another language without permission?
- Do I need permission to upload a copy of a photo onto my website?
- Can I put copyright material on a website without the copyright owner’s permission?
< previous page
next page >
Copyright in New Zealand
© Copyright Council of New Zealand 2006-2018. All rights reserved. Please read our
Terms & Conditions
Website designed by
and driven by