Search this website:
Home Copyright Owners Copyright Users Library NZ Copyright Links Membership Intellectual Property Site Map
Case Studies
News Items
Information Sheets
Related Links
Glossary of Terms
  Home . Content Library . FAQs . Films - Can I include images of artistic works in my film?

Films - Can I include images of artistic works in my film?

Generally you do need permission from the relevant copyright owners in the artistic works. However, there is a copyright exemption which allows “incidental” copying of certain works included in a film. For example, if a scene shows a painting on the wall in the background, it is likely to be incidental copying.

Buildings, sculptures, models for buildings and works of “artistic craftsmanship” that are permanently displayed or open to the public can be filmed and the film commercialised without infringing copyright.

If you are intending to release your film in another country, you may need specialist legal advice on the extent to which you can rely on these exceptions.

< back to previous page

Internet - Can I print or download material from the Internet?
Copying - Can I use someone else’s work in my work if I alter at least 10% of it?

Proving infringement - How can I prove that someone has copied my work?

Copying - Has a painter infringed copyright in my photograph by reproducing it as a painting?

Translation - Can I translate a book into another language without permission?

Websites - Can I put copyright material on a website without the copyright owner’s permission?

Copying - I’ve bought a CD and my friend wants to burn a copy. Is this allowed?
Home | Copyright in New Zealand | Owners | Users | Links | Intellectual Property | Membership | Site Map