Search this website:
This section covers copyright owned by everyone.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I'd like to know what the rules are regarding using well known short quotes on our website
- What does “public domain” refer to?
- Is everything on the Internet in the public domain?
- Can I print or download material from the Internet?
- Can I use someone else’s work in my work if I alter at least 10% of it?
- Can I translate a book into another language without permission?
Research or private study
- Do I need to acknowledge the source when I copy an extract for research or private study?
- Can I put copyright material on a website without the copyright owner’s permission?
- I’ve bought a CD and my friend wants to burn a copy. Is this allowed?
- Can I include images of artistic works in my film?
- I am making a film and want to include music on the sound track. Do I need to get permission?
- Can I include quotes from literary works in my film?
- Do I need permission to write a screen play based on someone else’s novel?
- Can I screen a film at a social club function?
- Can I record a television program to watch at a later date?
- Do I need permission to make copies of a photograph I own?
- Do I need permission to photograph a building?
- Do I need permission to upload a copy of a photo onto my website?
- Are logos on product packaging protected by copyright?
- What are the penalties for copyright infringement?
Copyright music issues for business owners
Moral rights - Artist’s integrity right backed by Indian court
Reporting Copyright Infringement
Opt-out deadline for Google settlement extended
English language schools in Spotlight for Breach of Copyright
Commissioning rule to be repealed
NZFACT JOINS NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT IN ENCOURAGING RESPECT FOR IPR AMONG YOUNG PEOPLE
The Commissioning Rule - Second discussion paper
Digital review of Copyright Act 1994
Copyright, contract and the commissioning rule
How to find copyright owners
Getting permission to use copyright material
Film Public Performance Screening Licences
World IP Day Competition 2009: Respecting Creativity
Film & television producers
Songwriters & composers
An introduction to copyright in New Zealand
Copyright (New Technologies) Amendment Act 2008
Education: powerpoint presentation
Book Publishers Association of New Zealand Inc (BPANZ)
Christian Copyright Licensing International (CCLI)
Screen Directors Guild of New Zealand
New Zealand Institute of Professional Photography (NZIPP)
Te Kete Ipurangi The Online Learning Centre
Independent Music New Zealand (IMNZ)
Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment
The Library & Information Association of New Zealand Aotearoa: Te Rau Herenga o Aotearoa (LIANZA)
Ministry for Culture and Heritage
Recorded Music NZ
Motion Picture Distributers Association of New Zealand (MPDA)
Video Assocation of New Zealand (VANZ)
Advertising & Illustrative Photographers Association (AIPA)
New Zealand Writers Guild
New Zealand Film Commission
Copyright Licensing New Zealand (CLNZ)
Copyright in New Zealand
© Copyright Council of New Zealand 2006-2018. All rights reserved. Please read our
Terms & Conditions
Website designed by
and driven by